Meet Sharon Hurley Hall, Your Teacher
This is a 6-week interactive course to uncover and change hidden biases and become a true anti-racist ally.
Session 1: Are You Biased? (Hint: We All Are!) – In this session, we’ll explore what biases are, what biases you hold and why. We’ll briefly explore concepts including: Stereotypes, prejudice and discrimination.
Session 2: Who’s The Hero? – In this session, we’ll explore perceptions we might hold and how stereotypes we’re surrounded by in the media influence these.
Session 3: The Other Side of History – In this session, we’ll look at what the history books share and explore what else might have happened, that they don’t share!
Session 4: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back – In this session, we’ll explore and understand privilege, what systemic racism means and talk about inequality and fairness.
Session 5: Words Matter – In this session, we’ll look at the language we use and the associations and impact it has; and we’ll explore how to have conversations about race.
Session 6: Telling New Old Stories – In this session, we’ll take a look at the origin of stories by exploring African stories.
- When: Weekly on a Thursday, 8am – 8.45am Hawaii | 10am – 10.45am Pacific | 1pm – 11.45am Eastern | 6pm – 6.45pm UK
- Course Start Date: Thursday, November 5th 2020
- Course Duration: 6 weeks.
- Teaching Format: 15-30 minute activity (or 2 activities) followed by 15 minutes live discussion time, supplemented by suggested activities in between classes.
- Age range: 8+
- Class size: Maximum of 10.
- Course fees: $100.
Before completing your payment for the course, please read and agree to our Terms of Service below. Registration for the course confirms your acceptance.
1. Payment is payable in full to confirm your child’s attendance of the course. Course fees are non-refundable.
2. Attendance at each class will be online, on a private video call. Prompt attendance is required.
3. Please ensure your child is in a safe, private and quiet space to attend each class.
4. Siblings and additional students are not permitted to sit in on the classes.
5. If your teacher cannot attend a class, the course will be extended by one week. If the instructor misses more than 25% of the course, you will be offered a full refund or the option to attend the same course in the future.
6. If your child cannot attend a class, please provide as much notice as you can so the teacher is aware of non-attendance and does not delay the start of a class waiting for your attendance; wherever possible, we will provide a recording of the class for your personal use; no refunds will be given for any absences.
7. We are the owner or the licensee of all Intellectual Property Rights and all other rights used in the course and all content within the course and nothing in these Terms or otherwise shall operate to transfer the ownership of the Intellectual Property Rights of the course or the content of the course to you or to any other person.
8. You may not at any time copy, reproduce, publish in any form, share, sell, dispose of or otherwise make available to a third party in any way any of the content or materials contained in the course.
9. We grant to you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sub licensable revocable licence to use all or any of the content of the course for the purposes for which it was provided only.
10. You may not without our prior written consent make any audio or visual recordings of any part of the course.
11. Our total liability in contract, tort (including negligence or breach of statutory duty), misrepresentation, restitution or otherwise arising in connection with the performance of this agreement shall in all circumstances be limited to the price paid by you for the course.
12. These Terms shall be governed by English Law and your hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Secure Your Space
About Your Teacher
Sharon Hurley Hall is a professional B2B writer, the author of Exploring Shadeism, and co-host of the Introvert Sisters podcast. She is committed to anti-racism, and publishes an anti-racism newsletter on Substack.
Sharon lives in Barbados and has worked online for decades. She holds an MA in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.